Design and Implementation of Document Control System
A document control system is the communication system through which information flows into the ERP system (Enterprise Resource Planning). Companies seem to have little difficulty investing substantial sums of money in ERP systems and the subsequent integration and training yet invest little or nothing in the communication infrastructure that drives and supports ERP.
To make matters worse, the vast majority of companies today rely on paper-based document control systems to support their information and control needs.
An effective system improves communication between Engineering and the rest of the enterprise. It ensures that the business issues—not merely the documentation issues—are addressed as a normal part of the business regimen.
We provide solutions that dramatically reduce cycle times and provide clear communication and direction to all affected organizations with respect to product release and change activity. An effective solution includes procedures, training, and systems that support:
* Part number assignment
* Approved manufacturer’s listing for purchased components
* Part/Document Status & History
* Change Requests
* Release and Change Orders
* Backlog/Work-in-Process Reporting for Requests and Changes
* Change Request/Change Order Tracking
* Change Impact Analysis
We have extensive experience:
- helping start-up companies create and implement the systems and processes described below.
- helping established companies fix ineffective systems and processes described below.
Document Control System Design
- Part Numbering Systems — definitions, configuration and revision control
- Change Management Systems — change requests, release and change control systems, change impact business and technical analysis, deviations, cycle time reduction
- Purchased Component Documentation — business processes for managing specifications and approved vendors; single- and sole-source authorization and approval
Product Configuration Control Systems
A process to identify the “as-shipped” configuration and configuration level of products; real-time information about customer-owned products.
If you are looking at this, it is likely you are experiencing difficulties with one or more of the following areas:
- Your part numbering system
- Your engineering change request process
- Your engineering change order process and the integration of product changes with Manufacturing and Field Service
- Your inventory control accuracy
- Your product release process
- Integrating your ERP system with your business processes
We’ve got the track record and expertise to help you with these mission-critical issues.
Take the Next Step:
Here are a number of different ways we can be of service to you as you begin or continue your journey:
- Call us at +1 408-475-7068 for a no-cost, no obligation discussion about your situation.
- Contact Us with your comments and questions.
- Contract with us to perform a comprehensive Requirements Assessment
- All of the above
- Some of the above
- Something not on our list