“Off-the-Shelf” Software | Selection & Implementation or Custom Software Design & Implementation
Most organizations, start-ups as well as established organizations, need software systems consulting assistance in two key areas:
- Defining the business requirements for new software systems
- Getting such projects across the finish line
This is true for “off-the-shelf” as well as custom software systems.
The old adage “if you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get there” isn’t appropriate when it comes to selecting and implementing new software systems.
Too many companies rely on technology vendors (who they mistakenly presume fully understand their business challenges) to help them sort through the requirements of what will be needed to efficiently run all or a portion of their business.
All too often, organizations learn the hard way that, while technology vendors know a great deal about their technology, they know very little about how your business runs or what the requirements are to run your business.
It is imperative that you have a strong sense of what your business challenges and requirements are before trying to acquire and adapt the software system to the challenge. Many organizations approach this the opposite way with less than satisfactory results.
Software Designed for Your Organization’s Specific Needs
We take you through a structured process to uncover your needs so they can be properly examined and understood by your organization; then communicate specifications to technology vendors.
Often the question isn’t “what is the application capable of doing,” but, “what must it do to support our business today and tomorrow?”
We have assisted organizations in the following ways:
- Define the application requirements from the perspective of solving one or more business problems or challenges
- Help the people who will be using the application day in and day out interface with the technology vendor and/or custom software development team so they understand the business requirements
- Integrate the new application with the business process
- Define processes for populating the new application with data either from current applications or from other data sources
- Act as project manager to coordinate and orchestrate activities amongst the users and technology vendor(s)
- Develop training programs that explain the new application and business processes
We provide the focused energy to get the projects on track and keep them on track. Our expertise and experience have proven to be invaluable in ensuring that our clients end up with an application that adds value to the organization.
If your company is considering the implementation of a new software system, you need to be aware of what makes Gardner & Associates different from technology consultants.
Management Consultants That Speak the Language of Technology.
Independent of technology solution providers.
We look for the best technology fit based on our client’s needs. We don’t try to force a specific technology into a client’s business.
Look at problems and solutions “holistically”.
We’re concerned about your problem from the perspective of solving a specific challenge across the entire enterprise. In some cases, we go beyond the enterprise to the extended enterprise (Dealers and Customers), not simply addressing a departmental problem within a company.
Concerned about your outcome as much as you are. In all dimensions of your problem/solution we focus on these needs:
- Business processes.
- User interface; inputs and outputs of the application.
- User integration points.
- Integration points with other I.T. applications.
- Integration of the “knowledge” with the I.T. applications.
- Creation, maintenance, and status reporting of data.
Integrate and define what’s important to you.
We desegregate and, in most cases, define the business process with the technology, across all organization touchpoints.
We speak technology and business operations. We define and translate the mission for the organization to the technology consultants.
We’re different than technology consultants.
- There is no “one-size-fits-all” technology solution; each vendor tends to represent their solution can “do it all”.
- We understand why technology that may have worked well in one company may be inappropriate from a company in the same business or industry.
- Technology consultants don’t do “management consulting”. They provide electronic infrastructure but often know little about the underlying business process or business problems. They rely on Business Consulting firms like ours to assist them.
- They are the builders of roads. They can’t tell you where the road should be or what it should look like. We make sure the technology works for your specific needs, across your entire organization.
Deployment and Change Management
Our Software Systems Consulting services have the ability to communicate complex principles across the enterprise. We have an excellent track record for expertise in helping clients be more successful in the implementation and adoption of new technology with all stakeholders and end-users. We offer training and coaching digitally and in person.
Take the Next Step:
Here are a number of different ways we can be of service to you as you begin or continue your journey: